So straight out of the box I took these comparison shots of my birthday flower bouquet with my 50mm 1.8 alone and together with my new extension tube. My focus was off but you get an idea of the magnification capabilities.
The extension tube goes between your lens and your camera body. My extension tube moves my lens 25mm away from my camera body. This means that I can focus closer to my subject and increases the magnification by 0.5, makes sense, right!? See this site for an explantion of this.
An extension tube doesn't have any optics but the Canon does have electric coupling. Some cheaper brands don't. This means that you can still control your settings.Which is really handy!
Autofocus is a bit flaky, so you have to focus manually. Although I believe this is recommended for a macro lens also. I have this little trick that I was a bit embarrassed about but I see Megan Cieloha does it too so I feel I can admit it now. I set my focus ring close to where I need it then I sway gently in and out from my subject till I see it in focus then I snap. If it's a moving target I may shoot in bursts.
So these are the pros and cons of extension tubes in my opinion:
Pros:
- Cost, compared to a macro lens it's really cheap
- Weight, it's really light and my Canon one comes in a little drawstring pouch so I take it with my camera all the time. You never know when you'll see something that would be great in macro.
- Compared to lens reversing rings, another macro option, you have electronic coupling and your lens is protected.
- The magnification isn't as great as a macro lens and depending on the lens you're using it with the clarity and sharpness may be inferior. But that's why you pay so much for a macro lens.
- Depending on the lens you use it with you may end up with an long unwieldy lens and I've read that you may end up practically touching your subject. My 50mm focuses quite a distance away and is so small anyway that it's great for me.
For inspiration and information check out these two great tutorials about macro photography on Clickin Moms, one by Sarah Wilkerson and another by Megan Cieloha.



4 comments:
The butterfly is incredible, I love Macro too, but I went with the lens rings to attach for magnification, I just can't afford the macro [or should I say NOT so macro] price of a new lens. I too sway when I'm doing the focus ;) Glad I'm not the only! hehe
Thanks for coming back. yes, I got that :) Will try it soon :D - Mirage
This is a very informative piece. I have quite fancies doing macro work and I know the lenses are really expensive. My husband suggested bellows on the camera but I think I will suggest an extension tube and it's my birthday soon.lol
Great post....and they swaying thing? only a person who understands what they need to do to get a shot could possibly understand!
Post a Comment